WELCOME TO VIEWS FROM THE CASTLE.
My views of my life,photographs,ramblings and nostalgia for what has past and my hopes for tomorrow.Plus anything I think might interest others.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

AM I A COLLECTER OR A HOARDER ?

The Castle is full to bursting with ornaments,pictures,furniture and bric-a-brac,but that adds to it's character,it is what people expect  to find in a Castle.The cottage on the other hand,is my personal retreat and is full of my "stuff ".
I have my favorite ornaments,pictures etc,I also have my collection of hat pins,but I also have a lot of things that need sorting out.
My mother kept every thing as her philosophy was,that everything had a purpose and could be useful one day.So  she had cupboards and drawers stuffed with everything you could imagine,boxes,brown paper,neatly folded,string,wound into neat coils,food cartons,washed and dried,neatly stacked.Our worn out clothes,in case someone wanted to patch something or make something ,old sheets and pillowslips,you name it and she had it.!!
I suppose this to some degree has rubbed off on me ,I find it hard to part with things that have now become clutter.
I have a bag full of clothes,nothing wrong with them except they do not fit me !! but I keep them in case I lose a few pounds and can wear them again-Yes I know-wishful thinking.!!
I keep pretty paper bags (the sort you get presents in ) I have loads of them and rarely use any,Wrapping paper,again carefully retrieved from years of birthday,Christmas presents etc,elastic bands,bubble wrap,string,jam jars,I really am as bad as my mother.!!
So what am I,a hoarder or a collector of potentially useful junk.?One thing is certain,I have to have a clear out because I there is no room for anything else.I have decided that if I did not know I had it,have not worn it,have not used it,am never going to use it--it has to go.
I will take the good stuff to the charity shop,tell my family to retrieve what they want and put the remainder in the recycling bin. I just hope I have the will power not to change my mind at the last minute.
..................................................................................................................................................................
NEW ARRIVALS ON THE LAKE
A mallard and 10 newly hatched chicks.




The moorhen watching  the procession of ducklings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and do read them all.