WELCOME TO VIEWS FROM THE CASTLE.
My views of my life,photographs,ramblings and nostalgia for what has past and my hopes for tomorrow.Plus anything I think might interest others.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

BOX COLLECTION

The weather is so miserable that there is no chance of getting any photo's at the moment,so I was looking around the house for inspiration for a post.
Some time ago I did a post on my hat pins ,so today I decided to do one on my box collection.I do not have a large selection as this is a relatively  new project.I love wooden boxes best,but I have been given presents of small porcelain pill boxes that are very pretty.I also like boxed wooden games,the ones I have are not old but I am on the lookout for some vintage ones.
The Grandchildren love playing with the games and of course they are unbreakable!! the only hard and fast rule is that they put all the pieces back in the box when they have finished.
 A Victorian writing box,A lovely fruit wood sweet box and a wood and brass domino games box.
 A wooden puzzle box, a mahogany noughts and crosses game board and the domino box.
 A plated silver ornate box lined with velvet.
 Porcelain  pill boxes of Eastern origin and a little brass box.
 An old relish jar.
The box that started my collection.This is an original cocoa box,very old,that I have had for ever.It was made when cocoa was a delicacy and only for the rich gentry.It is covered in a deep red velvet and gold satin.The satin has now rotted and gone into strands and the gilding round the etching has tarnished,otherwise it is in good condition.It would have contained an inner box ,housing the cocoa.
How decadent the Victorians were.!!!
This week seems to have flown by, Thursday already,nearly the weekend again,must go and make a cup of tea,and then light the fire,it is so cold and depressing today.Take care everyone.Carolyn.

6 comments:

  1. A nice collection Matron. The indoor photography is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, I love these boxes. I'm not much of a collector, and have never really "stuck" with collecting anything. I am partial to vintage boxes, though, especially those with advertising on them. Yours are really quite special; much fancier than any I've gathered.

    I've noticed you mentioned several times how depressing the weather can be, and I can sympathize with you on that one. The older I get, the more my mood or psyche or whatever it is can be influenced by the dark, cold, rainy weather we have this time of year. I really struggled with it last year and am hoping to fare better this year...we begin standard time on Sunday, so the days will be short and dark! Email me...maybe we can cheer each other up a little! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great collection. I especially like the relish jar. I cannot recall ever tasting a "gentleman's relish" before..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Collecting boxes is a very nice and rather easy hobby; many practice it. I don't collect anything intentionally, and yet I do have small collections of certain items, including boxes (I also prefer the wooden ones).

    I like your collection, it's versatile. The cocoa box lid is very eye catching!. On bad weather days, it makes one fel better when looking at pretty things we have accumulated throughout the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very cold here today but has been sunny which I will take over the rain we had a few days ago. In a selfish way I am glad it rained so that you thought to share all these lovely boxes you have. It is truly a beautiful collection and I enjoyed looking at your photographs. Not to sound totally selfish I do hope you get some sunny weather, because there is nothing like feeling the warmth of the sun on your back when going out for a walk, no matter how cold it is.

    Thanks for stopping by. You asked a question about my header photo. I looked for a marker in the soil when I took the shot but unfortunately couldn't find one. I did however do a little research and came across something that looked like the same plant. It was called Breynia Disticha F. Nivosa 'Rose Picta'. I am not sure about the climate it would grow in. We were in Southern California where the climate is pretty mild all year round if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS,I APPRECIATE THEM ALL.

    THE ABBOT
    Thank you for the praise,I do feel more confident with the camera now,I have learned a lot in the past year.I have graduated from a small pocket camera,then a Panasonic Lumix,a present from my son,to a really good expensive Canon which I find easy to use as it is not so complicated.


    THE REDNECK ROSARIAN
    Thank you for your comment,I have never tasted this relish either !! I only have the container,I am told it is a delicacy and quite expensive.

    Deb

    I am glad you liked the boxes,the cocoa box is quite special,it was given to me by an elderly lady nearly 40yrs ago,it belonged to her mother.I guess that must make the box almost 200yrs old,as my lady was nearly a 100 when she gave it to me,I have had it 40yrs,her mother was in her 90s when she passed away,so it may be even older than that.

    DUTA

    See the comment to Deb,as to the history of the box.
    I do agree that pretty things cheer me up,I always have lots of flowers around the house at this time of year,probably more than in the summer.Thank you for the comment.

    Denise
    Thank you for taking the time to look up the plant and for giving me the information.I love shrubs,they do well in are garden,better than the flowers.I will look in the garden center to see if they can get it for me,if it will be suitable for our climate. I am pleased you liked my collection,it is on on going project,but I would like to get some really old boxes,I prefer something that has history attached to it.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and do read them all.