It was a glorious day yesterday and I saw the very first butterfly of the year,it was on the Pussy-willow tree by the lake.
This is the earliest I have seen a butterfly,they do not usually show themselves until late April,but I suppose the very warm weather this week has woken them up.
I also saw a Bullfinch in the bushes,he is not usually seen until the apple tree starts to bud.This is a beautiful red and black bird,but he strips the apple trees of buds.
This Hare was ambling across the path this morning,I just had to get a shot of him.
When he saw me ,he actually stopped and posed for this picture.
This little shrew was climbing up the wall in the house,I rescued him and put him out in the garden.A little later I noticed he was back inside,this time climbing the curtains.These are so small they can crawl through the gaps in the stone of the house,being a very old stone house,there are a lot of gaps.!!
John put him out side again---- and again---and again..................
this time farther away from the house,but he still kept coming back in.It is a mystery why he did not stay in the garden.These little creatures have to eat almost continually,day and night or they die.
Unfortunately, this fella did die.He came back into the house when we were out and Charlie,our gentle friendly pet,who loves to play with everyone and every thing,must have stepped on him.Charlie was looking very sorry for himself when we got back,he was curled up on the mat with the little shrew next to him.
I hope you all are having the warmer weather that we have at the moment,it is such a welcome relief after all the ice and snow this year.
I look forward to seeing your spring Photographs.
What a lovely set of photographs. Poor Shrew.
ReplyDeleteWell if this doesn't say Spring I don't know what does. We haven't seen any butterflies here in British Columbia yet but the birds are very busy. It is rather wet here so I guess the butterflies need it warmer to break out.
ReplyDeleteI'm sitting here with a cup of hot tomato soup because it's wet and cold outside and I've been out and about in it! Nice to see your beautiful pics...a promise that warm weather WILL eventually come. This is the first shrew I've ever seen..although I believe I read about Mr. Shakespeare taming one of them once long ago! Haha. (I won't be going on the road as a comedian any time soon)...
ReplyDeletegorgeous photos, the sunshine is lovely isn't it?
ReplyDeleteTwiggy x
Lovely photos. One of my work colleagues said she was a butterfly at the weekend too.
ReplyDeleteLove your photos. What a shame about the shrew - odd that it kept coming back into the house.
Isn't it great to see the warmer weather arrive? I was so glad to welcome Spring this year. My roses are budding already and a few of my landscape roses have blooms. Will be excited to see your roses in bloom. Blessings to you!
ReplyDeleteHi Carolyn, I always look forward to your posts and seeing your photos. Poor little shrew. That's the first one I've ever seen. Sounds like Charlie was sorry about what happened. We've had some very nice days lately but it's supposed to get cold again. Just hope it doesn't freeze and hurt the budding trees, especially the fruit trees. Have a good week and enjoy the warmer weather.
ReplyDeleteIt's spring here in the desert, too. My cats are starting to bring lizards inside. There's always a scramble to capture the cats, hold the dogs, and free the lizard (if he's still alive).
ReplyDeleteLots of life and, as your post shows, the occasional death.
Lovely photos. You must be very pleased with them, as it isn't easy to capture birds and rabbits!