WELCOME TO VIEWS FROM THE CASTLE.
My views of my life,photographs,ramblings and nostalgia for what has past and my hopes for tomorrow.Plus anything I think might interest others.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

NO FROGS THIS YEAR,BUT PLENTY OF BIRDS

Every year,starting around February,we are invaded with amorous frogs.Having a lake and two natural ponds,it is an ideal breeding ground for frogs ,newts,ducks and the occasional otter.We usually get so many frogs,hundreds of them,that we have to be careful going down the boreen,for fear of running them over,they would also invade the house,often coming into the sitting room if the door was left open.The whole lake and ponds would be one mass of frog spawn and in the spring  the lawns around the lake would be swarming with baby frogs.
This year,because of the adverse weather,i,e,frozen lake and ponds,since before Christmas,not one single frog has been seen.I hope this is not an ecological disaster,I will miss the little creatures as I am very fond of them.
On a brighter note,we have lots of birds coming to be fed,again because of the hard winter,they have been reliant on us humans to provide food.I have included some of the more common visitors to the feeders,though we did have some birds that do not normally come,but could not get shots of them because they would not stay still long enough for a novice like me to set up the shot.



Blue tit in the apple tree






Coal tit





Goldfinch showing of it's beautiful plumage ,Great tit and Coal tit




Goldfinch ,showing the rest of it's plumage





Great tits



Chaffinch showing it's lovely pink plumage


I hope to photograph every bird that visits the garden,if they will stay still long enough,to create an album.I know these shots are not the best quality but I am trying to improve my skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and do read them all.