At this time of year I start getting my jam making equipment out of storage.The hedge rows are brimming with free goodies to make delicious unusual jams and jellies.
We will make the usual blackberry jelly,but I love to do the more unusual ones which make very welcome gifts for my friends and family.
I use the following recipe for ROWAN (mountain Ash ) jelly,it is excellent used as a relish with cold meat and game and is one of my favourites.
2 pounds of ripe berries ( washed )
2 pound of cooking apples or wild crab apples (wind fall apples are good for this too ) washed ,bad bits removed and roughly chopped.
Simmer the berries in one and a half pints of water,till soft.
Simmer the apples in one pint of water,till soft.
Strain both extracts through a muslin bag,measure the liquid and add one pound of sugar to each pint.
Bring to the boil then boil rapidly untill setting point is reached.
Pot and cover. If I am giving these as gifts,I cover the lids with red check (gingham) material and make pretty labels. This jelly turns out a lovely dark pink to red colour and has a piquant flavor that compliments cold meat and game.
ROWAN (MOUNTAIN ASH.
The second recipe is for ROSE HIP jelly.
This is has a delicate scented flavor and has a deep orangy pink to red color,depending on the colour of the hips.
3 pound of apples ( crab or cooking )
1 pound of rose hips
Wash, then just cover with water and simmer till soft. do the fruits separately.
I mash the hips a bit at this stage to extract as much colour and flavor as possible.
Strain through muslin bag, and add 1 pound of sugar to each pint of liquid.
Bring to the boil then boil rapidly till setting point is reached.
This jelly is lovely on scones with cream,a change from strawberry jam.I have it for breakfast spread on hot toast.
Hope you have a go at these,I guarantee you will love them.
............................................................................................................................................................
This picture was taken on my walk yesterday,it amused me.I know butterflies feed on nectar for energy but this butterfly took on more than it could cope with.!!
Enlarge the picture and read the label.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I look forward to your comments and do read them all.